So, what do you do if you’re stranded on a deserted island?
Order for pizza, perhaps?
An unlikely possibility in the real world, as you would’ve noticed if you’re a fan of the television series, ‘Lost.
So let’s say you do get stranded on a deserted island, what next?
Make a boat with imaginary bamboo shoots and pray the mermaids appear to take you to safety.
But seriously, being stranded on an island is an unenviable position to be in if not completely disheartening to say the least. Yet there have been many people who have been in such a situation and have been rescued.
So what do you do in the meanwhile to survive until ‘your ship comes in’?
Here are a few tips that might be useful if you ever find yourself in such a situation:
This is the first thing that you should look for as soon when you land on shore. If you’ve arrived on the island by way of a raft, by boat, or a plane – these can give you protection from the elements and wildlife that surround you. Many islands have trees, rocks, vines, bamboo, thick grasses, and other natural supplies that you can use in building a suitable and strong shelter.
Consider the following method to construct a suitable shelter when stranded on a deserted island:
1. Find branches that resemble the letter “Y”.
2. Stick these branches down into the ground rather deeply, making sure that each one is approximately five to six feet away from the other one.
3. Find a long limb of branch that is light enough to be supported by the two “Y” shaped branches, and place it on each so that it goes across.
4. Now, you have a basic frame. You will want to find long branches that can be rested on the limb that goes across on either side.
5. Once you have all of the branches in place, simply search for a vine or something that can act as a rope to tie everything together and secure it.
6. Finally, gather leaves, boughs, palm tree fronds and similar items to cover the structure with for additional security.
7. Take leaves and fronds from trees and line the inside of the structure in order to make a “floor” to rest on.
The next step is to find water which is essential to staying alive (yes, more important than food). Perhaps this saying rings a bell: “Water, water everywhere but not a drop to drink.” Any nitwit would know that seawater is not conducive for drinking as the salt and other chemicals will leave you dehydrated. So it is important that you find a freshwater source which might not be readily available.
What do you do then?
Creating a solar water still is a very good idea. Here’s how:
- Select an area that is higher than where the tides come in that is exposed to a lot of sunlight on a daily basis.
- Dig a hole that can be used. This hole should be about three feet deep and three feet deep.
- Find a bucket or other type of container that can be placed in the very center.
- Now, go around and choose healthy green plants that can be placed around the container.
- Place a piece of plastic sheeting over the hole and then put rocks and sand on the sides in order to ensure that the plastic stays in place.
- Then, put a rock in the center of the solar water still and a small hole. Water will now drip down and the green plants will help produce more.
If you’ve made a strong shelter and have found a good source of fresh water, the final step is finding food. Obviously, the ocean can be a good source but you can never be certain that every living creature will be good for consumption, so here are few tips to keep in mind:
1. Avoid consuming fish that have the appearance of spikes on their body.
2. Avoid eating jellyfish.
3. If a fish puffs up for protection, do not consume it.
4. Fish that appear to have “beaks” on their faces are also not a food type that is safe.
These are three simple steps that you can follow in order to survive on a deserted island. However, you will find yourself having to use your creativity in order to make a shelter, find water and food.
Remember anything goes here… as there won’t be any Luigi’s pizza delivery boy making his way in record time to satisfy your hunger!
What is the first thing you would do on a deserted island to survive?